You must have heard about monkeys, but have you ever heard of a finger monkey. If not it’s alright, there are number of different animals belonging to monkey family. In this article we are going to talk in detail about one of the rarest and most unique species belonging to monkeys, “FINGER MONKEY”. Just like any other monkey who uses its nail and body to climb a tree, “PYGMY MARMOSET” uses the same for a finger, hence, “FINGER MONKEY”.
- These are the smallest species belonging to the monkey family which also include black and golden howler, sooty mangabey, cotton top tamarin and many more.
- Their height ranges from 12inch-13inch fully grown.
- They are soft and delicate, with hairy body and dark skin.
- Skin colours like black, grey, silver and orange.
- They are also called as ‘PYGMY MARMOSET’ and ‘POCKET MONKEY’.
- Dating back to early 1800’s Finger Monkeys were first discovered in tribal areas by the scientists exploring new species in the forests of South America.
- Native to the rainforests of western amazon basin in countries of Ecuador, Peru, Brazil and Bolivia.
- Finger Monkeys are one of the most excited and joyful species of animals always seeking a way to get entertained.
- They are sensitive in nature and are seen to be living in small groups.
- Finger monkeys are kept in small open cages where they could get plenty sunlight and do not run around.
- Finger Monkeys are very affectionate and intelligent as they easily get acquainted with the surroundings and owners.
- They are very playful in nature and always ready to play around.
- Finger monkeys are not very aggressive and preferred to stay inside houses as stray animals could attack them due their small size.
- Finger monkeys are generally nice to children.
- SIZE: 12inches to 13 inches fully grown.
- TAIL: 6inches-7inches.
- WEIGHT: 100-120 grams.
- LIFESPAN: A major factor in their lifespan is their diet, hygiene and the kind of environment provided to them. They have a lifespan of around 12-13 years.
- OFFSPRINGS: Female monkeys can give 1-2 babies every 12 months.
- FAMILY: Callitrichidae
- ORIGINAL NAME: Pygmy Marmoset
- ORIGIN: Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador.
- NATURE: smart, intelligent, joyful and energetic. Not aggressive and less likely to give a tough fight.
- THUMB MONKEY
- POCKET MONKEY
- LITTLE LION
- Many states including half of the districts of Columbia and state of California prohibit the adoption of finger monkeys.
- The main reason for the restriction that they are considered wild animals and easy to spread diseases as they are advised to stay in small groups
- Finger Monkeys are still allowed in other countries only after legal permit, authorization and legal licence issued by the concerned pet authorities.
States where they are legal to adopt are:
- WEST VIRGINIA
- Finger monkeys are of one the rarest and most exotic species of animals and are costly than other regular pets.
- They range anywhere between $4,500-$7000.
- Finger monkeys are easy to train and fun to play with.
- They tend to be trained with new methods.
- Accompanying them with special toys and hand gestures makes the training easier for them.
- They require good amount of nutrients including vitamins and minerals.
- Finger monkeys are to fed every 2-3 hours.
This food may include:
- VINES OF TREES
- SMALL INSECTS
GROOMING AND OTHER HABITS
- Finger monkeys are to be given a bath with lukewarm water every once in 1-2 months with light shampoo and conditioner.
- Hygiene is very important at their early lives as changing them as they grow old is difficult.
- Male Finger monkeys are likely to be more aggressive and sometimes throw their waste on owners, so it is important to discipline them and scold them for better good.
- They are very delicate and may catch diseases like Common cold, chicken pox, HIV if not given proper care.
- Finger monkeys have the special ability to rotate their head 180 degrees and jump up to 16 feet.
- In many countries like Mexico and India couple of Finger monkeys are dressed with bright and designed clothes, accompanied with a master they give performances.
- They generally spend most of their time in Grooming, Playing and sleeping. Finger monkeys are active during the day and sleep when they see the sky dark even before night. Baby Finger monkeys generally sleep 16-17 hours.
- Owners are advised by the shopkeeper to adopt them in pairs as they get depressed if not around with the same species they help each other in picking out dirt and sniffle each other.
PROS vs CONS
- Finger monkeys are very cute and lively.
- They are exotic animals and are found to be rare which increases your charm in front of guests and others.
- Their cost of living is not much compared to other pets.
- As they are small in size, they do not need much space.
- Finger monkeys are costly to buy and include paper work for adoption.
- They are easily predated by other animals like dogs, snakes and cats.
- Finger monkeys like to live in pairs and if not they could get depressed or aggressive.
- DO THEY HAVE SHARP TEETH AND NAILS?
YES, they come with sharp teeth and nails. As it helps them to climb on trees and feed on nuts and resins.
- ARE THEY KID FRIENDLY?
YES, they like to play with small kids, and their bites are not dangerous for humans as well.
- ARE THEY ENDANGERED SPECIES?
NO, they do face difficulties in adapting to new environment but still they are not endangered. There more than 2700 Finger monkeys.